Thursday, September 16, 2010

Settling In

My eighth day of school. I can't believe it's been only two weeks and I already feel like I'm getting the hang of it. So far, I've turned in all my homework in time, done well on the quizzes, and have made a few friends. I'm getting the hang of seminar, and the lunches aren't really that bad. I like all of my teachers, and none of the classes bore me to death. So far, so good.

But I have come to the conclusion that, if I can, I'll homeschool my kids (if I ever have any). I can handle the public school situation now as a seventeen-year-old, but I'm about positive that if I'd gone at a younger age, it would've messed me up in some way. I wouldn't have been able to handle all the pressure there is. I would've hated to be in that environment. Also, I've realized that I learned a lot being homeschooled. I got a really good education. I may not be able to prove all of it with grades or essays, or even facts off the top of my head, but that's not what's important. If one learns the facts in order to ace tests, but doesn't gain wisdom from it, it's wasted knowledge. I would rather be wise than a know-it-all.

That being said, there is some appeal to the public school, but I find it's the wrong kind of appeal for me. I like it because it gives me a chance to show off. That's not a very good desire, but I have to be honest. I like going to the public school because it affirms that I'm actually smart. When I was homeschooled, I couldn't compare to other kids. Now that I can, it's a temptation to think that I'm better than someone just because I've mastered a subject more easily. I know it's not true, but that is one of the temptations of school. I hope I can keep my focus on just doing my best to really learn and to not think of it as a competition. That being said, though, I will not let the fear of seeming like a show off stop me from doing well. I really want to do well, but I don't want to be a show off, either. It's kind of a hard thing to balance.

OK, now something fun. Here's something I did for my psychology class. I made it on Paint. It's titled "Freud's Facebook".


It's a little hard to read, but you can get the idea. I made it into a poster today during psychology. I think the teacher really liked it. We'll see how she grades it.

Until later!
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment