Monday, September 20, 2010

Bad Day

Today wasn't a good day. It's not that nothing really bad happened, it's just that I'm in a horrible mood. It didn't help that I had my essay reviewed and graded today or that I had an algebra test...

What's really happening is that public school is starting to get on my nerves. The novelty of it is starting to wear off and the reality of it is sinking in. It's like, oh crap, I have to keep doing this the rest of the school year. I hope I can keep a positive attitude, but it's starting to get harder. I just really don't like being in that building the whole day. At least when I was at home, I could get my school done quickly if I wanted to and then I could do what I wanted the rest of the day. With public school, I have to slowly learn at the same pace as everyone else, come home, do homework, do something fun if I can, go to bed, and start over. It wouldn't be as bad if I could go ahead of the class, but that's not how it works. I have to stay at the same pace on the subject and be bored. I guess I could learn independently, but that could hinder me from being able to regurgitate specific knowledge for a test.

On that subject, public school is so much different than being homeschooled. It seems the emphases in public school is to get your homework done and do well on quizzes and tests. I don't know about you, but I hate learning that way. When I was homeschooled, I focused on learning first and didn't focus on acing tests. I did give myself some tests occasionally, but I didn't worry about it if I didn't do well on something. If that happened, I figured out what I did wrong and tried again.

I've never liked tests in the first place. If you focus all your effort on just doing well on a test, it's more likely that you'll just forget most of the information later. I think it's better to learn for the sake of learning, with tests just being there to show you what you need to work on. I really, really hate when tests and grades are considered the final say when it comes to someone's knowledge of a subject. But maybe that's just me.

Well, enough of my ranting. Tomorrow will be a whole new day and I'll make the best of it.

Quote for the day: "Why love if losing hurts so much? We love to know that we are not alone." - C.S. Lewis


À bien tôt!
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment