Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Break!

We're having our two-week Christmas Break right now. It's almost over. I've mostly been reading and sleeping. I missed being able to read whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, so I read 1984 (Orwell), The Book of the City of Ladies (de Pizan), The Catcher in the Rye (Salinger), and two fantasy books by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, called Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness. It's been very nice to just be able to read and think all day, take a break from classes and studying for tests.


I'm in my second trimester currently. I have Psychology B, A.P. English, Algebra III B, World History II, and Honors Chemistry A. My favorite class is between A.P. English and Algebra III (they're both challenging). My least favorite class is World History. It's so depressing because, even though it's so easy and the teacher practically gives away the answers to tests, some kids STILL do poorly. Seriously... the day before the test, the teacher tells us what the hard questions will involve and sometimes what we'll have to know for the free-response question. I can't stand how easy it is. I would prefer a history class that's interesting and has us actually read books. Instead, we have a huge textbook that only covers about a paragraph of information per historical figure/event. When I was homeschooled, I'd read an entire book about a historic individual/event. A paragraph is just not enough!

That's one of the reasons I read The Book of the City of Ladies. The author, Christine de Pizan, is a French Renaissance woman who wrote some of the first pieces of feminist literature. She was mentioned in the textbook once and I figured that it'd be beneficial to read one of her books. The book tries to prove that what men have said about women, like that they shouldn't be educated and such, is unfounded, and she goes to prove it by mentioning "historical" women. The one thing I didn't like about it is that she treated goddesses and semi-mythological figures as real people based in history, such as Minerva, Europa, and Ceres, rather than made-up entities.

Anyway, I'm dreading the day I have to go back to school. I think what I'm dreading most about it is the alarm clock going off at 6:30. Ugh. I am not a morning person by nature (I've been going to bed between 12-1 AM and waking up between 9-10 AM). I'll just have to get used to it all over again. happy
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! See you in 2011!

さようなら。 Sayōnara.
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment